Neighbor Up members share job postings as one way of building wealth for all.
This position will allow the community development corporations (CDCs) of the Tremont and Ohio City neighborhoods to share a staff person whose sole responsibility is to address safety in these two communities. This person will focus on responding to resident needs and inquiries, utilize existing programs and develop and initiate new proactive solutions to address issues, work with the court system and prosecuting attorneys, and will support efforts of the Cleveland Police Department’s Second District.
The Safety Coordinator will work with the Tremont West and Ohio City Incorporated (OCI) to:
• Manage safety programs in Ohio City and Tremont:
o Expand the Safety Camera Initiative: organize residents for fundraising, respond to incidents of crime and work with Second District officers to follow through to resolution.
o Grow Safety Audit program. Promote to residents; work with Second District to schedule home visits by officers; work with residents to ensure upgrades made qualify to receive available financial match.
o Work with funding partners and grant providers to ensure success of supported efforts and identify new opportunities to encourage/promote continued financial support.
o Other programs include: Court Watch, graffiti abatement, and lighting.
• Environmental Safety: Know city services and help respond to resident needs (sidewalk fix, tree removal, etc.)
• Second District Police Liaison o Build relationships individually and with the entire department; work with individual detectives and help foster relationships between the Second District and the community.
o Serve as representative to the Second District Community Relations Board.
• Community Education and Outreach o Share safety information with block clubs serving both Tremont and Ohio City.
o Disseminate welcome packets and other information to residents outlining practical safety information and ways residents can get involved in ensuring their own safety.
o Work, or assist, in planning and coordinating safety events/fairs/festivals (National Night Out Against Crime, etc.)
• Community Building
o Work to develop and implement proactive programs that build relationships between police and residents. Example: recruiting police officers (in casual dress) to serve as referees for the Near West Recreation League to encourage officers, residents and their children to have positive interactions.
o Coordinate events that include resident involvement to address a community safety issue, such as, targeted Clean-Up projects or other such programs.
• Work with the City of Cleveland, the Second District Police Department and other neighborhood CDCs within the Second District to collect information about trends and issues in the neighborhoods, identify hot-spots and communicate this information to the neighborhood.
• Serve as the primary point of contact for residents in Ohio City and Tremont regarding non-emergency safety concerns as well as the primary source of safety information and outreach to residents (collect information and report out to the community).
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to: email@example.com, with “Safety Coordinator” in the subject line. This position offers a generous benefits package including paid time off, simple IRA with match, as well as health and dental insurance. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Resumes will be accepted through Tuesday, January 31st at 5:00PM. Interviews will begin immediately. No phone calls please.